Sunday, June 17, 2007


It has been brought to my attention by readers that the main Mumia site is down and has been down for a while.

While I don’t think that this will be a permanent state of affairs, I must say that it is encouraging to know that this particular brand of toxicity is not currently defiling cyber-space.

And while I don’t know what has brought the temporary halt in the internet jihad for Jamal, I do know a couple of other things with great certainty.

For instance, this website has received nearly 17,000 hits and my other website, thousands more, since December of last year. In terms of the internet in general, these are hardly staggering numbers, but considering the main focus of my blog is an obscure Philadelphia cult, I must be satisfied with myself.

What I also know is that despite a barrage of activism, the effort to name a street on behalf of Mumia has all but floundered. The online petition for the Jamal street naming has received a paltry 774 signatures since it was established in September of last year. On the other hand, the petition that I started to counter the Jamal street naming has accumulated nearly 35,000 and has only been online since late January of this year. It is a petition that I hope to be able to have delivered to Jamal supporter, and NYC City Councilman, Charles Barron.

If you haven’t already, please do sign the petition. The link is:
http://www.gopetition.com/signatures.php?petid=10918

On the topic of "Free Mumia’ failures, is the non-event that was the revelation of the purported "explosive new evidence", that was said to demonstrate through photographs, the innocence of Mumia. Of course, this was not the case, and much to the dismay of the Jamal devotees, the "mainstream" media ignored this latest in a long line of silly stunts.

Back to the issue at hand. One should expect that the Mumia site should pop back up any day now. They will fix whatever issue there is, because the internet is too important a medium for them to neglect. Take for instance the fact that MOVE has had roughly four incarnations of it’s website over the years. The latest of which has been under construction since I left the group and is updated rather infrequently.

And although, it will show back up, we can be certain and I think recent evidence backs me up, that the Jamal cause is increasingly meaningless. Even the French have fallen off the Jamal wagon, with two French pro-Jamal websites going down permanently

The struggle continues, but at least when it comes to Mumia, it is a fight that hopefully coming to an end.

2 Comments:

At 5:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The number of 777 signatures as per 24 June 2007 is a clear overestimation. In reality there are less. Some signed more than once, a lot signed as "Anonymus" and a few showed disrespect:
[776] heywood jablome (what a dirty language)
[663] No thanks I don't want to honor any cop killers
[680] Rot in Hell! 25yrs and still not fried! Get with it and put this social parasite 6 feet closer to hell!
[670-674] You left out the fact that he is a convicted cop killer. Why was this information left out ? The Cop Killer Should Fry !!!!
and some others.
Some 700 votes versus almost 35000 votes. The result should be clear for everyone.

 
At 9:25 AM , Blogger Tony Allen said...

Yeah, I think the conclusion is rather forgone. The "people" have certainly spoken on this one. I have even been contacted by Jamal supporters who don't think the street naming is a good idea

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Hit Counter
Online Schools